Unified Layer is a shared data center infrastructure owned and operated by Newfold Digital (former Endurance International Group and Web.com Group).
This infrastructure provides resources and services to a range of company-owned web hosting providers, including Bluehost, HostGator, iPage, and many others. Unified Layer enables these companies to offer their customers a reliable, scalable, and secure hosting environment.
Who owns Unified Layer?
Prior to 2021, Endurance International Group (EIG) has acquired numerous web hosting and related brands over the years, expanding its reach and consolidating its position in the market. It was acquired in February 2021 by Clearlake Capital Group, a private equity firm.
Later that year, Newfold Digital was formed following the merger of EIG and Web.com Group. Newfold Digital became a leading web technology company that provides a wide range of digital solutions and web services, including web hosting, website builders, domain registration, email marketing, and e-commerce tools, to help customers create, manage, and grow their online presence.
Newfold Digital now owns and operates several well-known brands in the web hosting and digital services space, such as Bluehost, HostGator, Network Solutions, Register.com, SiteBuilder, and Constant Contact. The company serves millions of customers worldwide, ranging from individuals and small businesses to large enterprises.
Some key milestones
EIG and Web.com Group are two notable companies in the technology industry that have undergone a series of acquisitions to establish their position as major players in the market. These acquisitions have allowed both companies to expand their offerings and increase their customer base through strategic mergers with other businesses. As a result, EIG and Web.com Group have been able to maintain their competitive edge and continue to thrive in the ever-evolving landscape of the technology industry.
Endurance International Group:
- EIG was founded in 1997 by Hari Ravichandran as BizLand, initially offering web hosting and domain registration services.
- The company’s headquarters are located in Burlington, Massachusetts, USA.
- Endurance International Group has grown significantly through numerous acquisitions, consolidating many smaller web hosting brands under its umbrella.
- EIG’s original business model was focused on offering free web hosting, supported by advertising revenue.
- The company rebranded from BizLand to Endurance International Group in 2001.
- EIG has a global presence, with data centers and offices in North America, Europe, and Asia.
- In addition to web hosting services, EIG also offers email marketing, online marketing, and security solutions for small businesses.
- EIG went public in 2013, trading on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol EIGI.
- In February 2021, EIG was taken private by Clearlake Capital Group, a private equity firm.
- EIG’s brands cater to a diverse range of customers, from individuals and small businesses to large enterprises and resellers.
- EIG has acquired over 80 web hosting and related brands throughout its history.
- The company has served millions of customers worldwide through its various brands.
- EIG brands collectively manage millions of domain names.
- EIG’s acquisition of HostGator in 2012 was one of the largest in the web hosting industry at the time, with HostGator hosting over 1.3 million websites.
- In 2016, EIG acquired Constant Contact, an email marketing platform with over 650,000 customers, for approximately $1.1 billion.
- EIG’s 2013 IPO raised approximately $252 million.
- At its peak, EIG employed over 4,000 people globally.
- EIG brands offer a wide range of hosting solutions, from basic shared hosting to advanced dedicated and cloud hosting options.
- The company’s brands support various content management systems (CMS), including WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal.
- EIG’s brands cater to customers in over 150 countries, offering localized support and services.
- Web.com Group was founded in 1997, making it one of the pioneers in the web services industry.
- Originally known as Website Pros, Inc., Web.com Group changed its name in 2008 after acquiring the Web.com domain name.
- In 2011, Web.com Group acquired Network Solutions, a major domain registrar and web services provider, significantly expanding its portfolio of services and customer base.
- In 2018, Web.com Group was acquired by private equity firm Siris Capital Group for approximately $2 billion.
- Web.com Group has completed over 20 acquisitions in its history, helping it grow into a global player in the web services market.
- Register.com, a well-known domain registration and web hosting company, was acquired by Web.com Group in 2010.
- Web.com Group’s headquarters are located in Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
- In 2021, Web.com Group merged with Endurance International Group (EIG) to form Newfold Digital, a leading web technology company.
- Web.com Group was a publicly traded company before its acquisition by Siris Capital Group, listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange under the ticker symbol “WEB.”
- The company’s core services include domain registration, web hosting, website design, e-commerce solutions, and online marketing tools.
- Web.com Group has served more than 3.5 million customers globally, ranging from individuals to large enterprises.
- Over 9 million domain names have been registered through Web.com Group’s various brands and subsidiaries.
- In 2017, Web.com Group reported over $750 million in annual revenue, showcasing its significant presence in the web services market.
- Web.com Group employs over 3,000 people worldwide, with offices in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and several other countries.
- The company’s customer base spans over 200 countries and territories, reflecting its global reach and influence.
- In 2013, Web.com Group expanded its international presence by launching operations in Latin America, including Brazil and Argentina.
- Web.com Group’s acquisition of Network Solutions in 2011 was valued at approximately $561 million.
- Following the acquisition of Register.com, Web.com Group’s customer base grew by more than 800,000, with over 1 million domains under management.
- In 2016, Web.com Group’s online marketing platform, Yodle, was acquired for $342 million, further expanding its suite of digital solutions.
- The merger of Web.com Group and Endurance International Group in 2021 created Newfold Digital, a company with a combined annual revenue of over $1 billion.
Newfold Digital owns a variety of popular hosting, domain registration, and other related online service brands, prior aquired by Endurance International Group. Some of the big names are:
- Bluehost (acquired in 2010): A popular web hosting provider offering a range of services, such as shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, and managed WordPress hosting.
- HostGator (acquired in 2012): A well-known web hosting company providing shared, reseller, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting solutions, as well as domain registration services.
- A Small Orange (acquired in 2012): A web hosting company focused on providing customer-centric hosting solutions, including shared, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting services.
- JustHost (acquired in 2012): A web hosting provider offering shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting services, along with domain registration and website builder tools.
- iPage (acquired in 2010): A hosting provider offering affordable shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, and WordPress hosting plans.
- Site5 (acquired in 2015): A web hosting company providing shared, VPS, reseller, and cloud hosting services.
- Arvixe (acquired in 2014): A web hosting provider offering shared, VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting services.
- Constant Contact (acquired in 2016): A leading email marketing and online marketing platform for small businesses.
- SiteBuilder.com (acquired in 2014): A user-friendly website builder platform that provides hosting, custom domain names, and various design templates for creating websites.
- ResellerClub (acquired in 2014): A platform offering reseller hosting, shared hosting, cloud hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting, and domain registration services primarily targeted towards web professionals and resellers.
Autonomous System data
Within the Autonomous System (a collection of IP networks and routers under the control of a single organization), the primary Autonomous System Number (ASN) for Unified Layer is AS46606. Unified Layer uses this ASN to manage its routing policies and network infrastructure.
The following table presents several prominent entities, along with the number of IP addresses and hosted domains they encompass:
|Rank||Autonomous System||AS Number||Approximate Number of IP Addresses||Approximate Number of Hosted Domains|
What is Unified Layer, and how is it related to Endurance International Group (EIG)?
Unified Layer is a web hosting infrastructure provider that operates under the Newfold Digital (former Endurance International Group) umbrella. Newfold Digital is a leading technology company that specializes in web hosting, domains, and online marketing services. Unified Layer provides a wide range of web hosting solutions and supports the backend infrastructure for various Newfold Digital-owned brands, ensuring efficient performance and reliability.
Which brands and hosting services are associated with Unified Layer?
As a part of Newfold Digital, Unified Layer supports numerous web hosting brands, including Bluehost, HostGator, iPage, JustHost, and FatCow, among others. These brands offer a variety of hosting services such as shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated server hosting, reseller hosting, etc.
How reliable is the infrastructure provided by Unified Layer?
Unified Layer is committed to providing a robust and reliable hosting infrastructure for its clients. The company utilizes state-of-the-art data centers, cutting-edge hardware, and advanced network systems to ensure maximum uptime and performance. Moreover, Unified Layer’s network administrators closely monitor the infrastructure to quickly address any issues that may arise.
How do I contact Unified Layer?
Unified Layer does not have direct customer support since it operates under the Newfold Digital and provides infrastructure for various web hosting brands. To contact customer support, you will need to reach out to the specific web hosting brand associated with your services.
Here are the contact details for some popular Newfold Digital-owned brands supported by Unified Layer:
- Website: https://www.bluehost.com/contact
- Phone (U.S.): 888-401-4678
- Phone (International): +1 801-765-9400
- Website: https://www.hostgator.com/contact
- Phone (U.S.): 866-964-2867
- Phone (International): +1 713-574-5287
- Website: https://www.ipage.com/support/contact
- Phone (U.S.): 877-472-4399
- Phone (International): +1 781-998-8586
- Website: https://www.justhost.com/contact-us
- Phone (U.S.): 888-755-7585
- Phone (International): +1 801-494-8462
- Website: https://www.fatcow.com/support/contact.html
- Phone (U.S.): 888-278-9780
- Phone (International): +1 602-716-5396